There are many ways to learn English in Canada. What classes you can take depends on your status in Canada (a permanent resident, refugee claimant, international student). One way is to look for information on BC 211 . Go to the section “Immigrants and Refugees” and look for the section that says “Learning English.” You will have many results that show you English courses you can take.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to know if language teachers have an understanding of transgender issues. You can connect the language teacher to the MOSAIC I Belong program facilitator or the Rainbow Refugee Coordinators, so that the teachers can learn more about the issue.

You can also give them resources such as the AMSSA Resource page on LGBTQ Newcomers and SOGI 123 .

MOSAIC English teachers attended an awareness session on LGBTQ+ issues in January 2018.


Funded by:

Trans Care BC