About this program
Using an evidence-based, crime prevention approach model, this program provides customized, individual support teams for visible minority at-risk youth. The support team and the youth collaborate together on strategies to fulfill needs and to make progress towards the youth’s goals.
Wraparound Program offers at-risk youth, ages 13-18, with holistic support to enhance youths’ strengths and resiliency to manage the challenges and stresses that they face. The program provides opportunities to engage in pro-social activities, develop healthy attachments to their schools and communities, and learn to establish and make progress toward goals.
This program also offers support for parents and other primary caregivers of youth clients.
Such youth may be experiencing, or at risk from:
- Poor school and peer associations
- Experiencing negative emotional and physical behaviour
- Substance misuse
- Mental health issues
- Violent behaviour
- Being isolated
- Counselling services
- Referrals to programs within the community
- Assessment of risk and protective factors
- Development of a care plan focused on personal goals
- Monitoring of progress towards reaching goals
- Development of their individual support teams
- Discussion about strategies to assist in improvement of their lives
- Development of an exit plan to maintain healthy and meaningful lifestyle and activity choices
- Vancouver School Board staff
- Vancouver Police Department, School Liaison Officers
- Community Service Providers
- Social Workers
- Parents and other primary caregivers
5838 Fraser Street, Vancouver V5W 2Z5
Phone: 604 254 9626
Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
Staff may work flexible hours outside regular working hours to meet the needs of clients and the program.
This program really help me to believe in myself! You can, too!Anonymous client
The program has mainly two distinctive service delivery formats:
- One-to-one para-counselling with a youth worker and one-to-one clinical counselling services
- Wraparound team support, facilitated by the youth workers
The program consists of four distinct service phases:
Youths exit the program when either of the following happens:
- All the goals are met or
- Two years have passed since the initial assessment
The good news is that youth are more likely to make healthy choices when they:
- Connect with their peers
- Engage with the community
- Develop pro-social skills
- Participate in positive activities
- Build self-esteem
- Regulate emotions
- All youth workers are certified Wraparound High Fidelity Facilitators and have completed relevant Wraparound training.
- The program is delivered mainly at MOSAIC’s Fraser Street office. The youth workers meet youth at their schools.
- Bus tickets are provided to youth and their parents, and other primary caregivers to travel to program meetings and activities.
- Child minding services are available for parents and other primary caregivers when attending a team meeting