The MOSAIC English Language Institute (MELI) is a fee for service English language school that provides dynamic and learners centered training to newcomers from around the world. Our professional and experienced teaching staff will give you the language tools to succeed in Vancouver.
Currently enrolling (summer session):
Aug. 7 – 31 | Full details (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
If you live in Vancouver and you need to learn English you can take our classes. This includes people on: Visitor visas, Work visas, Student visas, Citizens, or Permanent Residents on LINC waitlists.
We offer beginner, intermediate and advanced English classes. We also offer workplace English.
In our classes you will study:
- English grammar for work and life in the community
- Writing activities designed to improve your accuracy & familiarity with different written formats
- Listening activities that will improve your confidence and ability to speak on the phone
- Vocabulary in themes and how to use it in real world settings
- Conversation strategies: polite and impolite small talk, follow up questions, etc.
- Pronunciation, sentence stress, and common contractions within Canadian English
- Idioms, slang and other idiosyncrasies common with Canadian English
Our tasked based teaching method is extremely flexible in adapting to the needs of our diverse student body. In addition to improving your English, our teachers craft their classroom activities to ensure that you receive unique support:
- Visitors can receive language for a variety of everyday tourism needs
- Work Visa Holders can receive training on Canadian workplace culture, professional communication, and Workplace rights.
- Citizens can receive English language that familiarizes them with Canadian culture.
- Student Visa Holders can receive academic English training.
- Permanent Residents can receive training on Canadian culture and history to assist in studying for their citizenship exam.
All newcomers will learn about resources for newcomers from MOSAIC which can answer your questions on permanent residency, citizenship, visa requirements, government documents, city services and more.
Our campus is at 2555 Commercial Drive (Google Maps) conveniently located just steps from the Commercial Broadway Sky train station. It is also in the heart of the thriving and diverse Commercial Drive strip full of renowned restaurants and coffee shops. Come to MELI and become part of the unique culture of the Drive.
We offer classes 12 months a year. Our next semester is our summer intensive course which starts on August 7th and finishes on August 31 (4 weeks) | Full details (PDF)
This is the registration process:
- Fill in our online registration form.
- Take our online placement test. This will evaluate your listening and reading skills.
- Schedule an in-person Placement Test. This will evaluate your speaking and writing skills.
- Pay for your course on day of your in-person speaking test
- Start your class and learn English!
Please bring any photo ID to the test.
We accept cash, cheque, debit or credit card. Payment should be made in full before start of classes. Pro-rated fees are available until the fourth week of the regular session.
Definitely. We want to make sure that our students receive the help they need. If you feel that we are not providing you with what you need you can ask for a refund. You are able to receive a refund until the last day of your first week in class. A $40 administration fee will be subtracted from your refund.
Matthew has over 8 years teaching beginner level English courses. In his teaching career he has helped many different kinds of students: students whose language was completely different than English; students that could not even say hello; even students that needed to learn how to hold a pencil! Using his body and gestures he is able to teach and reach anyone who is willing to learn. He is patient, caring and most of all a fun teacher. He is ready to help you meet your needs!
Melika Askari (Intermediate Level Teacher)
Melika has a diverse base of experience teaching English in a variety of settings both here in Vancouver and in her home country of Iran. In addition to her position with us she has also taught within the LINC ESL program for over 2 years. Before coming to Vancouver she was a University lecturer in vocational English language programs. She believes that her experience as a Newcomer in Vancouver has given her great empathy for the struggles that her students face. This has given her a passion for helping newcomers find success.
Meoni Poon (Advanced Level Teacher)
Meoni has an extensive amount of experience facilitating advanced English courses. He has taught in the LINC English program with MOSAIC for over 6 years. Prior to that Meoni taught academic English courses at Memorial University in Newfoundland. He has also taught academic preparation courses here in Vancouver at Columbia College. This experience has given him a rich knowledge base in how to work with advanced English learners.
- IELT’s Preparation Course. Get the techniques and study strategies for an excellent IELT’s score.
- Employment Bootcamp. Get skills for writing resumes and cover letters, answering job interview questions, and networking in the community.
- Specialized skilled classes based upon just one skill. Maybe you need extra writing help or just listening assistance. You will be able to take classes based upon one of these skills.
If you are interested in any of these classes. Please email us at: email@example.com
TESL Canada Certified
All of our instructors are have TESL Canada recognized training.