A Leading Role
MOSAIC has played a leading role for refugee support and re-settlement since its inception in 1976. The organization was founded by a group of volunteers who came from immigrant and refugee background. Throughout the years, MOSAIC served refugees from diverse communities who came to Canada from all continents. MOSAIC programs and services continues to be responsive to the emerging needs of various refugees groups such as refugee claimants, convention refugees and protected persons, government assisted refugees, privately sponsored refugees, Blended Visa Office Referred Refugees and other stateless persons.
MOSAIC has also played a leading role for Syrian refugee re-settlement in Metro Vancouver. Even before the federal government announced that Canada would welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, MOSAIC had announced its preparedness to provide support for 1,000 displaced persons.
Sponsorship Agreement Holder
In February 2017, MOSAIC was granted official status as a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH), which allows the organization to work with others in the community to sponsor refugees, or to directly sponsor refugees ourselves.
For the initial sponsorship, MOSAIC’s allocation is capped at bringing in six refugees for the year, and on June 8, the paperwork was signed to bring in a Yazidi family of six from Turkey. Which means that MOSAIC has reached its limit for year 2017.
In 2018, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will let SAHs know about their allocations for the year. As soon as MOSAIC is informed of its allocations, intake guidelines will be posted on MOSAIC website. At this moment, MOSAIC is not considering any refugee sponsorship requests.
Refugees Need Your Help
You can play a crucial role in helping MOSAIC’s refugee settlement support services. Through your donations and support, you can directly impact the lives of refugees arriving to Canada and help reunify families who are trying to bring family members from refugee camps into Canada.
How You Can Help
- Become an individual Private Sponsor
- Volunteer to work with refugees
- Donate items to refugees
- Donate financially to refugee support organizations
If you are interested in any of the above, contact us to learn more about how you can directly help refugees abroad and in Canada.
Current Refugee Programs and Services
In addition to our extensive services, MOSAIC currently offers the following specific services to support the re-settlement of refugees:
- Welcoming Privately Sponsored Refugees at the Airport
- Providing orientation to community and to life in Canada
- Providing refurbished computers to refugee families, in partnership with BC Technology for Learning Society
- Assistance to apply for government benefits and services
- Providing training to private sponsors
- Organizing Networking Sessions for Private Sponsors and Individuals interested in working/supporting refugees
- Providing language support to private sponsors
- Assisting refugees overseas who are identified by Private Sponsorship Group by completing applications and forms
What can newcomers expect when they first arrive in Canada?
The Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has released a video in 2013 for newcomers detailing what they can expect, and how to get settlement information and assistance after landing in Canada.