MOSAIC’s Response and How You Can Help
MOSAIC is working alongside the Afghan and wider Canadian community to provide meaningful refugee resettlement and integration support.
We are encouraged by the federal government’s announcement that Canada will assist 40,000 Afghans in need of lifesaving resettlement. We are one of the major Sponsorship Agreement Holders in Canada and will be applying our years of expertise to lead a large-scale sponsorship response, co-sponsoring as many eligible refugees as possible to Canada..
Donate: To support our lifesaving sponsorship and integration efforts alongside the Afghan community, donations can be made to MOSAIC’s Afghan Refugee Response Fund, here.
Volunteer: For information about volunteer opportunities please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Private Sponsorship of Refugees
In the early 2000s, MOSAIC played a critical role in connecting 1200 people to private sponsorship placements. This passion resulted in MOSAIC becoming a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) with the Canadian Government in 2017. This allows us to support refugees to resettle in Canada through Canada’s Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) Program. In the past five years, we have been involved with the private sponsorship of 346 refugees in need of resettlement and our exceptional work has been recognized by the United Nations Refugee Agency on the global stage.
On August 13, the Canadian Government announced an expanded resettlement program intended to resettle 20,000 Afghan refugees. MOSAIC was proud to see this pledge double to 40,000 on September 27. This will be done through two programs:
- A Special Immigration Program for Afghans who Assisted the Canadian Government which is primarily for Afghans who worked for the Canadian government. People inside and outside of Afghanistan are eligible for this program.
- Find out more about this special immigration program here.
- A Special Humanitarian Program focused on resettling Afghan nationals. The eligibility for Private Sponsorship under this Program are people who:
- Have fled war, violence, conflict or persecution and have crossed an international border (are outside of Afghanistan)
- Don’t have a durable solution in a third country
- Find out more about this Private Sponsorship within this special humanitarian program here.
- Specific details have not yet been finalized by the Government of Canada. As a Sponsorship Agreement Holder, MOSAIC is standing by and ready to facilitate private sponsorships as soon as timelines and quotas have been announced.
If you have family from Afghanistan who are outside of Afghanistan and in need of resettlement, please complete the registration form below.
Please note: We are waiting for updates from the Government of Canada. Emailing us does not mean that your family has been registered for sponsorship or that their sponsorship is guaranteed. Please do not email sensitive or personal information. People within Afghanistan are not eligible for this program.
Registration of Interest for MOSAIC’s Afghan Refugee Sponsorship Initiative is now closed
If you have registered, we look forward to seeing you at the information session on Wednesday, November 10th from 5:30pm – 7:00pm.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: Afghanresponse@mosaicbc.org
Save the Date: MOSAIC will be holding a private, virtual information session for individuals in Canada who have registered friends and family members through the above forms on Wednesday, November 10th from 5:30pm – 7:00pm.
Invitation with link will be emailed to all sponsorship registrants by November 9th, 2021.